WW1 and WW2 Airfields Hunsdon
RAF Hunsdon, as Hunsdon Airfield was once known, became operational in 1941. The first unit to arrive at the Airfield (in May 1941) was No. 85 Squadron RAF, flying Boston Havocs.
In June No. 1451 Flight RAF was formed. This experimental unit flew Bostons with searchlights fitted in the nose of the aircraft. This experiment was not successful and the unit was reformed as No. 530 Squadron RAF in September 1942. Numerous Squadrons and Wings used the airfield during its operational life. Hunsdon is most closely associated, however, with the de Havilland Mosquito, which first arrived in 1943.
On 18 February 1944, Mk 4s’ from No. 21 Squadron RAF, 464 Squadron (Australia) RAF, and 487 Squadron (New Zealand) RAF which formed No 140 Wing (Wing Commander P C Pickard DSO DFC) carried out Operation Jericho, otherwise known as the Amiens Prison Raid.
The airfield was closed in 1945.
Today only a few original buildings remain of the former RAF Hunsdon. One such building is the Underground Battle Headquarters, which was designed to provide emergency organisation of airfield defenses should the airfield come under attack. Other remaining buildings include defensive pillboxes, a brick slit trench used as a defence position,the fire tender building now used as a store for the shooting club, a complete cantilever ‘Oakington’ type defence position, 20mm ammunition store, and a Small arms ammunition store. and on Number 3 dispersed site, there are the remains of latrines and air raid shelters, (although these are on Private land and permission to enter must be sought) . The last remaining blister hangar at Hunsdon was demolished in the mid 2000s as it was made unsafe after the 1987 ‘hurricane’.
Now closed, the original runways and perimeter track are now considerably reduced in size and used mainly by agricultural vehicles.
Hunsdon Microlight Club uses the three grass runways.
All of the remaining buildings at Hunsdon Airfield are no longer accessible due to safety reasons.
On 22 May 2005, a memorial was unveiled and dedicated to the groundcrew, aircrew and support staff who were based at RAF Hunsdon from 1941–45.
In June 2012 a new memorial commemorating the 126 air and ground crew who died while flying from or serving at RAF Hunsdon was unveiled.
Join us on this special 1 hour trial flight to Hunsdon.